Services for Australians Overseas
Changes to Passport and Notarial Services fees
From 1 January 2017, the fees for notarial services increased following a recommendation from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s Functional and Efficiency Review. Notarial service fees have not increased in 16 years.
The new fee schedule takes into account the annual rate of inflation in Australia since fees were last increased, the growing cost of delivering notarial services and rising demand.
Passport fees increased on 1 January 2017 in line with annual CPI indexation and fee increases announced in the Government's 2016-17 Budget.
Please check the revised lists of fees for further details.
Apostilles (“Hague Stamps”)
With effect from 1 July 2015, the Embassy commenced issuing Apostilles (“Hague Stamps”) on original Australian public documents. Please note that documents presented for an Apostille must be originals unless certified and sealed by an Australian notary public. More information can be found on Smartraveller. Fees for the issue of an Apostille can be found here and must be paid by credit or debit card (Visa/MasterCard). Applicants wishing to have an Apostille issued on an Australian public document should contact the Embassy’s to make an appointment. The Embassy may require up to two working days to issue the Apostille.
Office Hours and Contact Details
The Consular and Passport Services Section of the Australian Embassy in Athens is open for telephone and email enquiries from 8:00am to 4:00pm Monday to Friday except for public holidays.
Passport interviews and notarial services are offered on an appointment only basis - see Passport Services – Appointment System
The Australian Embassy in Athens administers Honorary Consulates in Thessaloniki (northern Greece ), in Sofia (Bulgaria) and in Bucharest (Romania). Honorary Consuls are able to provide assistance to Australian citizens and can accept passport applications (by appointment only).
Temporary Closure of the Honorary Consulate in Thessaloniki, Greece
The Honorary Consulate in Thessaloniki will temporarily not be able to provide services until further notice.
Clients in Thessaloniki are advised to contact the Australian Embassy in Athens for assistance.
What we can and cannot do
Assisting Australians overseas within limits
Travel information for Australians
Get the latest travel advisories and other traveller hints from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
On-line registration for Australians overseas
We encourage use of this online registration service by Australians planning to reside overseas for extended periods, and those travelling to locations where there are security risks.
The Australian Government, through its consular officers, endeavours to provide assistance in situations where danger exists due to civil unrest, war, etc., when it is considered necessary and where it can be arranged.
- Applying for a first Australian adult passport or for a child's passport
- Renewing your current Australian adult passport
- Complete online and print an Overseas Passport application form or renewal form
- Consular and passport fees
Clients requiring passport or notarial services at the Embassy in Athens are advised that they must first make an appointment here. Clients requiring information about Australian citizenship or visas for Australia cannot make appointments to come to the Embassy and should instead visit www.border.gov.au .
Clients who require notarial services for
- Powers of Attorney
- Statutory Declarations and Driver’s Licence Renewals from ACT, NT, SA, VIC, and WA
should contact the Embassy at firstname.lastname@example.org to request an appointment.
If you require a notarial service that is not mentioned above, please make your appointment here.
Practical Information about Greece, Bulgaria and Romania
- International driving permits
- Birth, marriage and death certificates
- Getting married in Greece ? See also Marriage overseas
- Authentications and apostilles
- Bringing medication into Greece
- Changing your Australian Licence to a Greek Driving Licence
- Renewal of Driver's Licence
- General Information Regarding Visa Requirements for Travelling Australians
- Legal services
- Lost property
- Medical and health services
- Schengen Travel bulletin
- Visas for Greece, Bulgaria and Romania
A gateway to information about Australian benefits, payments and services
Returning to Australia
Handy information for Australians or residents returning from a holiday or moving back to Australia.
Pensions and information for former residents
- Australia and Greece: Social Security Agreement (English version)
- Australia and Greece: Social Security Agreement (Greek version)
- Social security: pension payments
- A gateway to information about Australian pensions and superannuation