- About us
- Visas and migration
- Travelling to Australia
- Passports and Consular Services
- Doing business with Australia
- Study in Australia
- About Australia
- Travel advice
- Register with us
Services for Australians Overseas
As of 1 July 2015:
• All passport applications, including renewal applications, will have to be personally lodged at the Embassy
• Minors do not have to attend the lodgement interview but at least one person with parental responsibility for the child must lodge the application in person and provide proof of their identity
• The cost for full validity passports will also be subject to an additional overseas surcharge. The surcharge is additional to the standard application fee.
• The surcharge fee will be, an adult (including senior) passport application AUD100 and for child application AUD50 in 2015.
• The surcharge will not apply to Emergency Passports applications as the validity of these passports is very limited.
Thessaloniki, Northern Greece
With effect from 1 July 2015, the Australian Consulate located at 28 Archeologikou Mousiou Street in Thessaloniki will be closed.
The Embassy is currently in the process of appointing a new Honorary Consul in Thessaloniki. Further details regarding the new Consulate in Thessaloniki will be posted on this website in due course.
In the meantime, Australians seeking consular or passport assistance should contact the Embassy directly on tel. 210 870 4067 (8:00am to 4:00pm, Monday to Friday except Public Holidays) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apostilles (“Hague Stamps”)
With effect from 1 July 2015, the Embassy will be issuing Apostilles (“Hague Stamps”) on original Australian public documents. Please note that documents presented for an Apostille must be originals unless certified and sealed by an Australian notary public. It is important to note that documents executed by an Australian Consular or Diplomatic officer cannot be issued with an Apostille. The only exceptions are certified copies of Australian Passports and original Certificates of No Impediment to Marriage. The current fee for the issue of an Apostille is available here. The fee may be paid in cash (Euro) or by credit card (Visa/Mastercard). Applicants wishing to have an Apostille issued on an Australian public document should telephone the Embassy’s Consular Section on 210 870 4067 (8:00am to 4:00pm, Monday to Friday except Public Holidays) to make an appointment. Applicants should bear in mind that the Embassy may require up to two working days to issue the Apostille.
Canning by-election 2015
A by-election for the federal electoral Division of Canning in Western Australia will be held on Saturday 19 September 2015. Further information can be found under the Smartraveller bulletin.
Office Hours and Contact Details
The Consular and Passport Services Section of the Australian Embassy in Athens is open for telephone and email enquiries from 8:00am to 4:00 pm Monday to Friday.
Our counter hours are 8:30am to 3:30pm Monday to Friday. Passport Services – Appointment System
The Australian Embassy in Athens administers Honorary Consulates in Thessaloniki (northern Greece - currently unavailable ), in Sofia (Bulgaria) and in Bucharest (Romania). In the first instance it is preferable that you contact the Embassy in Athens with your telephone or email query.
What we can and cannot do
Assisting Australians overseas within limits
Travel information for Australians
Get the latest travel advisories and other traveller hints from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
On-line registration for Australians overseas
We encourage use of this online registration service by Australians planning to reside overseas for extended periods, and those travelling to locations where there are security risks.
The Australian Government, through its consular officers, endeavours to provide assistance in situations where danger exists due to civil unrest, war, etc., when it is considered necessary and where it can be arranged.
- Applying for a first Australian adult passport or for a child's passport
- Renewing your current Australian adult passport
- Complete online and print an Overseas Passport application form or renewal form
- Consular and passport fees
Practical Information about Greece, Bulgaria and Romania
- Taxation issues
- International driving permits
- Birth, marriage and death certificates
- Police clearances
- Getting married in Greece ? See also Marriage overseas
- Authentications and apostilles
- Bringing medication into Greece
- Changing your Australian Licence to a Greek Driving Licence
- Renewal of Driver's Licence
- General Information Regarding Visa Requirements for Travelling Australians
- Land registration searches in Greece
- Legal services
- Lost property
- Medical and health services
- Military service obligations
- Schengen Travel bulletin
- Searching for persons or birth, death or marriage information, in Greece
- Visas for Greece, Bulgaria and Romania
A gateway to information about Australian benefits, payments and services
Returning to Australia
Handy information for Australians or residents returning from a holiday or moving back to Australia.
Pensions and information for former residents
- Australia and Greece: Social Security Agreement (English version)
- Australia and Greece: Social Security Agreement (Greek version)
- Social security: pension payments
- A gateway to information about Australian pensions and superannuation