Services for Australians Overseas
As of 1 January 2016:
• A 10-year validity passport will be issued to children aged 16 or 17 years.
• The application fee for a 10-year passport (for adults and child applicants aged 16 or 17) will be AUD254.
• Applicants under 16 and those aged 75 and older who opt for a 5-year passport will pay AUD127.
• The overseas surcharge fee will be; for an adult (including senior) passport application AUD102 and for the child application (including 16 and 17 year olds) AUD51.
• The new emergency passport application fee will be AUD153.
• All Australian dollar amounts will be converted into Euros at time of payment.
As of 1 July 2015:
• All passport applications, including renewal applications, will have to be personally lodged at the Embassy
• Minors do not have to attend the lodgement interview but at least one person with parental responsibility for the child must lodge the application in person and provide proof of their identity
• The cost for full validity passports will also be subject to an additional overseas surcharge. The surcharge is additional to the standard application fee.
• The surcharge fee will be, an adult (including senior) passport application AUD100 and for child application AUD50 in 2015.
• The surcharge will not apply to Emergency Passports applications as the validity of these passports is very limited.
Apostilles (“Hague Stamps”)
With effect from 1 July 2015, the Embassy will be issuing Apostilles (“Hague Stamps”) on original Australian public documents. Please note that documents presented for an Apostille must be originals unless certified and sealed by an Australian notary public. It is important to note that documents executed by an Australian Consular or Diplomatic officer cannot be issued with an Apostille. The only exceptions are certified copies of Australian Passports and original Certificates of No Impediment to Marriage. The current fee for the issue of an Apostille is available here. The fee may be paid in cash (Euro) or by credit card (Visa/Mastercard). Applicants wishing to have an Apostille issued on an Australian public document should telephone the Embassy’s Consular Section on 210 870 4067 (8:00am to 4:00pm, Monday to Friday except Public Holidays) to make an appointment. Applicants should bear in mind that the Embassy may require up to two working days to issue the Apostille.
Office Hours and Contact Details
The Consular and Passport Services Section of the Australian Embassy in Athens is open for telephone and email enquiries from 8:00am to 4:00 pm Monday to Friday.
Our counter hours are 8:30am to 3:30pm Monday to Friday. Passport Services – Appointment System
The Australian Embassy in Athens administers Honorary Consulates in Thessaloniki (northern Greece ), in Sofia (Bulgaria) and in Bucharest (Romania). In the first instance it is preferable that you contact the Embassy in Athens with your telephone or email query.
Appointment of new Australian Honorary Consul in Thessaloniki
The Australian Embassy in Athens is pleased to announce the appointment of Ms Konstantina (Dina) Kyrgidou as the Australian Honorary Consul in Thessaloniki.
Ms Kyrgidou replaces the former Honorary Consul, Mr Christos Gandas, who completed his term on 30 June.
Ms Kyrgidou holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Economics and Business Administration from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki and a Master’s Degree in Business Administration from Zicklin Business School in New York. Born in Thessaloniki, Ms Kyrgidou speaks fluent English and Greek and is proficient in German and Spanish.
As Honorary Consul, Ms Kyrgidou is responsible for providing assistance to Australian citizens in Thessaloniki and Northern Greece. The Honorary Consulate is located at: Fragon 13, Suite 709 – 710, Thessaloniki 54626.
For more information please contact the Honorary Consulate in Thessaloniki on +30 231 055 3355.
We are happy to inform our Australian citizens residing in Northern Greece, that our Honorary Consul Ms Dina Kyrgidou, can now accept passport applications at her office in Thessaloniki. The Honorary Consulate is located at: Fragon 13, Suite 709 – 710, Thessaloniki 54626. Please call +30 231 055 3355 (6), for an appointment.
What we can and cannot do
Assisting Australians overseas within limits
Travel information for Australians
Get the latest travel advisories and other traveller hints from the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
On-line registration for Australians overseas
We encourage use of this online registration service by Australians planning to reside overseas for extended periods, and those travelling to locations where there are security risks.
The Australian Government, through its consular officers, endeavours to provide assistance in situations where danger exists due to civil unrest, war, etc., when it is considered necessary and where it can be arranged.
- Applying for a first Australian adult passport or for a child's passport
- Renewing your current Australian adult passport
- Complete online and print an Overseas Passport application form or renewal form
- Consular and passport fees
Practical Information about Greece, Bulgaria and Romania
- Taxation issues
- International driving permits
- Birth, marriage and death certificates
- Police clearances
- Getting married in Greece ? See also Marriage overseas
- Authentications and apostilles
- Bringing medication into Greece
- Changing your Australian Licence to a Greek Driving Licence
- Renewal of Driver\'s Licence
- General Information Regarding Visa Requirements for Travelling Australians
- Land registration searches in Greece
- Legal services
- Lost property
- Medical and health services
- Military service obligations
- Schengen Travel bulletin
- Searching for persons or birth, death or marriage information, in Greece
- Visas for Greece, Bulgaria and Romania
A gateway to information about Australian benefits, payments and services
Returning to Australia
Handy information for Australians or residents returning from a holiday or moving back to Australia.
Pensions and information for former residents
- Australia and Greece: Social Security Agreement (English version)
- Australia and Greece: Social Security Agreement (Greek version)
- Social security: pension payments
- A gateway to information about Australian pensions and superannuation