Applying for a first Australian adult or first minor's passport
If you are an Australian citizen and applying for your first Australian passport, or a first passport for a minor, you may either:
- Complete and print the Overseas Passport Application Online
- Contact the Embassy to have the application form sent to you.
Applications must be lodged in person at the Australian Embassy in Athens or at our Consulates in Thessaloniki (northern Greece), or Sofia (Bulgaria) or Bucharest (Romania). Please telephone in advance to make an appointment.
Additional information is provided below to help you complete your application. If you require any further assistance please contact the Embassy.
Additional Information for both Adult and Children's Applications
- Please note that Embassy or Consulate staff cannot complete the form for you.
- Ensure that you have the appropriate original supporting documents as indicated in the instructions on the passport application or renewal form.
- In Athens (Greece), only English language translations of supporting documents from the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs will be accepted. In Sofia (Bulgaria) translations must be done by a translation agency authorised by the Bulgarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and translations must be certified by the Ministry. In Bucharest (Romania) translations must be done by a translator authorised by the Ministry of Justice and then certified by a Notary Public. Supporting documents include birth certificates, marriage certificates, death certificates etc.
- For applicants using the “Overseas Passport Application” form, ensure that you have an appropriate guarantor, and they complete the relevant guarantor’s section and endorse the back of one passport photograph. Also ensure that the guarantor does not place any stamps over his/her signatures on the form or on the passport photograph. The guarantor must be contactable and provide a daytime telephone number.
- Ensure that you take note of the passport photograph size, colour and quality requirements. If your photographs do not meet the criteria, your application may be delayed or rejected.
Additional Information for Children's Applications
- Parental consent is required from all persons with a parental responsibility for the child. If parental consent cannot be obtained, please contact our office for assistance.
- If the child was born in Australia on or after 20 August 1986 you must provide proof that at least one parent was an Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia at the time of the birth. The passport application form provides guidance on what proof is acceptable.
- All children over 10 years of age must sign the signature box on the passport application form.